Monday 17 September 2018

Winter Tournament


On Tuesday the 4th of September we travelled by bus to Saxton Field for Winter Tournament. There were lots of other schools there that were awesome at the sports. We were allowed to choose from two of six sports. The sports we could choose from were Netball, Hockey, Ki o Rahi, Rippa Rugby, Football and Boccia.

Netball
There were lots of people and everyone in my team got a chance to be each position. Out of A for attack, D for defence and C for centre, my favourite position was C. In this position you were allowed everywhere apart from the two semicircles on each short side of the rectangular court. The team I was in was pretty good. We only lost one game and we got two ties and two wins. I think I might play netball as a sport at school as well!

By Lexi

Hockey
One of the sports that I played was Hockey and I found it very amusing to play. We got to play six matches and we won three of them.The schools that we versed were Tahunanui School, Birchwood School, Enner Glynn School, Stoke School and Nelson Christian Academy. There were three teams from every school (including us). I was in team three. At the end of the day, I thought that it was a great experience.

By Reuben


Football
When we got to Saxton Field we had a little snack before walking to our first sport. When we arrived at the field we put our bags down on the hard soil. We thought that the ground would be easy to run on.We waddled like penguins on to our first field.Then we realised that the ground was a big mud bath. As you ran your shoes sank in trapping your nice clean shoes. When the games were over and our clean shoes had turned black, we walked back and had lunch.

By Asha


Ki o Rahi
My name is Charlie and I am going to talk to you about Ki o Rahi.  The aim of the game is to get the most points.  My favourite sport at Winter Tournament was Ki o Rahi.  You need a cylinder, a ball, rips, 7 sticks and lots of cones. You need two teams. One team tries to throw the ball at the cylinder.   If they hit it they get a point.  But there are three people on the island and they try to protect the cylinder.  The same team is also trying to hit the sticks around the edge of the game and they run over the bridge and put the ball down without getting ripped.  The team with the most points wins.

By Charlie

Rippa
At Winter Tournament I played Rippa Rugby.  When we all got to the spot that we
were playing on, we put our bags down and got in to the lines.  After we got in
line, we were given the straps and rips to put on. Then we all went to the
fields to play. When I got to the field that we were playing on, I took off
my shoes and socks because it was really muddy.The first team that we played
was Enner Glynn School.  After we started some of us were really muddy. Next we
versed the other Nayland Primary team. The last team that we played was Stoke School and most of us were really muddy. When we were finished we all got our bags and shoes on and went back to the netball courts to line up in our classes.  We all went back to school on the bus.

By Alizae